We all go through ups and downs in life. Most often, we are able to stick to our routines when we have a high energy, feel positive and living with the passion and zest for the things we love. However, what goes up must come down sometimes too. When the going gets tough, it can be difficult to feel good about yourself, follow through with daily tasks and even live with kindness towards ourselves and others. This lethargic feeling can happen all too often. We tend to find any excuse there is not to follow the restricted diet, not to got to the gym today and not to improve ourselves. We continue to feed our minds with negative thoughts like “I’m not feeling great”, “It can wait until tomorrow” and the best one “I accept that this is who I am and I will never change”.
But change is necessary and change is possible. Depending on what you wish to change, it can be done in a matter of days or maybe even just a few months. By creating rituals that you love and enjoy, you can accomplish anything that you want. It becomes easier to adapt to great new habits by forming a ritual rather than just completing a task. By combining tasks and rituals it can turn into a purposeful and lifelong journey. Think about the great benefits you get out of forming a daily ritual. It assists in bringing attention to the present, taking action, reflecting on the moment and it reminds us to be grateful.
How to create a ritual:
- Environment: Your environment needs to be set up and prepared for the actual ritual that you want to accomplish on daily basis. As an example, if you want to meditate daily, set up your meditation area so that it is the first thing that you do when you get home from work. Make the space inviting so that after some time it becomes a comfortable space that is associated with a specific activity and automatically becomes a ritual
- Timing: Find the right time for the right type of ritual. If you are creating multiple rituals, you may want to choose specific times of the day in which to complete each one. An example, is reading every night before you go to bed or waking up at 5AM to go to the gym.
- Vision: Set your long term vision of where you want to be in life. You can then incorporate small steps daily into your rituals to get to where you want to go. It doesn’t matter how ambitious these may be, from becoming the most powerful CEO of the century to walking your dog, you can follow these rituals daily and create harmony in your routine.
- Love: When carrying out any ritual, do it with love and passion. When we love what we are doing, even if it’s doing the hardest chore, it becomes easy and comfortable to do. When you are passionate about what you are doing daily, it’s not work but a powerful ritual that enhances your mind and life.
- Completion: Focus your energy on completing the ritual and thus pursue your long term vision. You will eventually see the results that you desire. With each passing day, you grow closer and closer to achieving your goals. However, always remember to enjoy the journey along the way as this is what life is about.
By creating rituals in your daily life, you are creating life long habits that provide purpose and meaning to your life. Remember, our time on earth is limited and we should live each moment with happiness and love.